Sometimes while updating our iOS devices (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch) to latest OS version or restoring data from the backup via iTunes, we encounter 3194 error which is displayed as “The iPhone could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (3194)”. And this 3194 error irritates us and our updating or restoring process gets stopped.
If you are also one of them then you don’t have to worry about it. In this blog post you will learn how to fix iTunes error 3194 or iPhone error code 3914.
With the help of iTunes Repair tool, one can easily:
- Fix iTunes 3194 error that occur on iOS devices (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch) when upgrading or restoring it via iTunes.
- Repair your phone without any deletion of data from your devices.
- Also fix other types of iTunes error like iTunes error 50, error 23, error 54, error 11571, error -1, etc.
- No technical knowledge is required.
- 100% safe, secure and easy to use.
Free Download Trial Version/Buy Now iTunes Error 3194 Repair Tool
Let’s start with a real user practical scenario on iTunes error 3194!
Practical Scenario: A iPhone SE User Not Able To Update To iOS 10/11 Via iTunes (Getting Error 3194)
I have an iPhone SE
I’m trying to update to iOS 10/11 (currently have 9.3.3)
Downloaded the relevant IPSW.
It started with error 3194 which I solved by changing the HOST.
Since then I’m having error 3600 which I’m unable to solve (reset PC and iphone, changed USB port, cable).
Tried it on 3 different PCs and same result: 3194 > HOST Fix > 3600
What can I do? Need to update version…
Source: Mac Rumors Forums
Like the above practical scenario there are many users encountering this iTunes error 3194 when they try to upgrade their iOS devices (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch) through iTunes. So if you are also facing this issue then before going to the recovery solutions you should first know what are the causes behind getting this iTunes error 3194.
Causes For Getting The iTunes Error 3194
The iTunes error 3194 occurs when we try to restore our our iOS device data from the backup or when upgrading our devices to latest OS version or degrading devices to earlier OS version through iTunes. The reasons for getting this error 3194 comes due to poor connection of internet between the host and client server at the time of updating, invalid iTunes, downgrading or restoring the devices, and many more.
Your iTunes 3194 issue can be solved after trying some time, but when this frustrating issue could not be solve after trying several time then in this situation you must find an appropriate solution to solve this 3194 error otherwise later you may face lots of problem.
So, here are the solutions on how to fix error 3194 successfully. Follow the solutions one by one and you will be free from this irritating iTunes or iPhone error 3194.
Solution 1: Close iTunes And Then Restart Your PC/Mac
This is the first and one of the simplest solution among all the given solutions. In this solution you need to exit iTunes and then restart your computer.
Follow the below steps to do this:
- If iTunes is opened on your computer, then close it first.
- After that restart your computer and then launch iTunes and then see if error gone or not.
Solution 2: Make Sure You Have Latest Version Of iTunes To Fix iTunes 3194 Issue
Users get the iTunes error 3194, because of using the old version of iTunes. If you are using old version of iTunes then it creates tons of problem. So, you must update your iTunes to its newest version.
Follow the below steps to get the latest version of iTunes:
- First launch iTunes on your computer.
- Then from menu bar choose “Help” and then click on “Check for Updates”.
After updating the iTunes, I hope you may not encounter with error 3194.
Solution 3: Fix The iTunes Error 1394 By Using Another Computer
You can also try another computer to restore or update your iOS devices (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch). This method will solve the problem but in case if it doesn’t work then it will help you to find the reason for getting this 3194 error.
Solution 4: Check IP/TCP Filtering, Security or Firewall Software
You can try this solution to fix iTunes error 3194, if you have IP/TCP, security or firewall software already installed on your computer.
Below follow the given steps:
- Configure/temporary uninstall the Security software.
- Now visit “apple.com” to check internet connection. You must check your internet connection is working well if not then contact your Internet service provider (ISP) for the help.
- Go through your internet router it is because some routers might block the iTunes and therefore it cannot access the update server. But if your router is working well and not manufacture by Apple, then try the below steps to fix the error 3194:
- Disconnect your wireless or wired router and then connect your computer to modem by using Ethernet cable.
- Now restart your computer and modem. Contact your Internet Service Provider to get the full instruction to use the modem.
Once you confirm that your Internet connection is working well, now you can try again to update or restore your iOS device (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch) again.
Solution 5: Check The Host File In Windows/Mac To Fix iTunes Error 3194
Sometimes iTunes is not capable to connect with the Apple’s updates server then in this situation you will get the error 3194. To solve this issue you should check out the host files.
Follow these steps for Windows computer:
- First Swipe on right side of the screen and after that hit “Search”.
- Then type run, then click on “Run” icon.
Note: If you want to do the same thing with the help of mouse then you have to point on the upper right corner of the screen and move the mouse cursor down. After that click on “Search” and then type run. Then click on “Run” icon.
- Now enter “%WinDir%\System32\Drivers\Etc” in the “Open” box and then click on “OK”.
- Here you will find “Etc” folder. To edit the Host file double click on it.
- If you find any “gs.apple.com” entries then just delete it and then save the Host file.
Follow these steps for Mac computer:
- First of all exit iTunes.
- Then open “Terminals”.
- After that type “sudo nano /private/etc/hosts” and then click on “Return/Enter” button.
- Now enter the same password that you have used to log-in to your computer if it ask, then press Return/Enter.
- Here terminals will display the host file as shown in the image below.
- Now look for “gs.apple.com” entry.
- Navigate to “gs.apple.com” entry with the help of arrow button, then type (#) symbol and a space at the starting of the “gs.apple.com” entry.
- Now save the file by pressing “Control-O”.
- When your filename is asked click on “Enter” key and to exit the editor click on “Control-X”.
- Finally, restart your computer.
Solution 6: Use TinyUmbrella To Fix The iTunes 3194 Issue
You can try TinyUmbrella which is software that can help you to fix the error 3194.
Note: This tool works for jailbroken iOS devices but in some cases it also works for unjailbroken.
Follow the below steps to fix the error 3194 iTunes downgrade:
Step 1: Download the iOS firmware that you wish to upgrade/downgrade your iOS device (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch) to.
Step 2: After that download “TinyUmbrella” software.
Step 3: Now connect your iOS device and if the iTunes open automatically then close it.
Step 4: Then you need to open “TinyUmbrella” and then hit on “Start TSS Server”.
Step 5: Now you have to put your iOS device in DFU mode.
- Connect your iOS device (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch) to computer with the help of lighting cable. Then open iTunes.
- Now power off your iOS device by holding the “Power” or “Sleep” button.
- Then to start in DFU mode, you need to hold both the “Power” and “Home” button together for 10 seconds and after 10 second release only “Power” button at the same time keep holding the “Home” button until the iTunes pop-up a message “your device is now in recovery mode” on your iOS device.
Step 6: If you are looking for updating your firmware then you have to click on “Option + Restore” (Mac) or “Shift + Restore” (Window) and then point it to the iOS IPSW file that you have downloaded in step 1.
I hope your iTunes will restore it to your appropriate iOS firmware that you have pointed to and then update your iOS device to it.
Note: If you are looking to downgrade your iOS device, you have to save the SHSH blobs on Cydia or you can also save it in local drive. At present, Cydia has saved SHSH blobs up to iOS 7, you will have to save the SHSH blobs of your device for that you can use TinyUmbrella.
Solution 7: Fix iTunes 3194 Error By Remotely Factory Resetting Your iOS Device
You can try this solution to troubleshoot the iTunes error code 3194 by factory resetting your iOS device remotely with the help of iCloud.
Below follow the steps to remotely factory reset your iOS device by using iCloud:
Note: Before following the steps first check “Find My iPhone” is enabled and your internet connection is on.
Step 1: First log-in to “iCloud” website or you can open “Find My iPhone” on your another iOS device (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch).
Step 2: Open “Find My iPhone” service in iCloud. It will help you to open the map with your registered iOS devices.
Step 3: Now choose your iOS device from the top menu then click on “All Devices” and choose your iOS device to reset and restore.
Step 4: Hit on “Erase” button in the iOS device card. After that the iOS device will automatically start erasing and factory resetting your device. The process will complete after few minutes.
Once your iOS device completed the process, set-up your iOS device. Now you can backup your phone’s data from iTunes/iCloud and continue the process with fresh install.
Note: If you have forgotten to keep the backup in iTunes or iCloud then you are recommended to immediately try iOS Data Recovery software to recover the deleted data after fresh install.
Solution 8: Easily Fix iTunes Error 3194 By Using iTunes Repair Software [Recommended]
If all the above solutions do not solve your iTunes error 3194 then in this situation you are strongly recommended to use iTunes Repair tool as it will easily and quickly fix the iTunes error 3194 in just few mouse clicks.
This iTunes Repair tool also fix other types of error such as error 50, error 23, error 54, error 11571, error -1, etc. It do not affect any existing data at the time when you are fixing this iTunes error 3194.
Below follow the complete step-by-step tutorial on how to fix the iTunes Error 3194 for your iOS devices (iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch).
You May Also Like:
- Fixed “Cannot Get Mail: The Connection To The Server Failed” Error on iPhone/iPad
- [Fixed]: iPhone XS (Max), XR, X Stuck In Recovery Mode
- iPhone Keeps Freezing And Crashing? Fix It By Yourself!
- [Fixed] iPhone Stuck At ‘Attempting Data Recovery’ On iOS 11/10
Steps To Fix The Error 3194 By Using iTunes Repair Software
Step 1: Launch iTunes Repair and Choose “Repair iTunes Errors” Option
First of all download, install and launch iTunes Repair Tool on your computer.
Click on “Repair” among the available modules.
In the next pop-up window, you will see three repair options. Simply, click on “Repair iTunes Errors” option.
After this, the software will start to check your iTunes component.
Step 2: Go For Advanced Repair
If iTunes components are full installation, simply click on “OK”. But, if iTunes still continue to show error messages, then click on “Advanced Repair”.
It will take some time. So, be patient and wait until the repairing process gets finished.
I know how much it is irritating when you get iTunes error 3194 when you connect your iOS devices (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch) to iTunes for performing any activities such as restoring or updating your device. But, I hope the above 8 solutions help you to fix the iTunes 3194 error.
If first 7 solutions fail, then it is highly recommend that you must try iTunes Repair software which is mentioned in Solution 8 as this solution will easily fix the iTunes error 3194 without any data loss.
Max Field is a founder of ios-datarecovery.com. He is an iOS lover and loves to write tips, tricks, fixes for errors, data recovery solutions and more related to iOS, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, iTunes and iCloud.